Sunday 17 December, 2006

Written, produced and directed by Runa

This might not come out right. The conversation I am going to recount happened in two phases - the first in the office foyer between the security guard and a foreign visitor; the second, immediately after the first, just outside in the courtyard, between this foreign visitor and his equally foreign companion.
I wish for the hundredth time that I could record this and leave a link for you to click on and listen, but if you follow the stage directions and read out loud, some of the beauty of the moment might come through. Else, wait till you meet me - I'll enact.

Read the security guard's part out loud in a South Indian accent; and both foreign visitors' parts with a soft "t" like the "th" in teeth, and stress on the first part of the words. Make sure you intone the punctuation and the mood stamps that I've provided.

Guard: It will come in fifteen minutes.
Visitor # 1 (making sure he heard right): Fifteen minutes?
Guard (nodding earnestly): Fifteen minutes.

Visitor # 1 (like he finally has the answer): Fifteen minutes.
Visitor # 2 (hopefully): Fifteen minutes?
Visitor # 1(reassuringly): Fifteen minutes.

So why am I making a big deal of this conversation? Many reasons.
First, I love the succintness of it, and how the intonation conveys so many meanings from the same two-word phrase.
Second, the accents were so wonderful. Such differences in the pronunciation of the same words.
Third, the two visitors had similar accents, but were probably not from the same country (would they have been speaking English with each other if they were?), and definitely not from English speaking countries - so it was very interesting to hear them communicate with each other.
I love voices and accents and interactions between people. I wish I could turn this into work!

And if this didn't entertain you like it did me, well tish tosh !!

No comments: