Saturday 30 December, 2006

The long walk to the loo


I was going to title my Runa at Work omnibus The Long Walk to the Loo, but I can't wait that long to use this catchy title. I'll use it here cos it's apt.

When we moved to the new and much larger office building in Bangalore, one of the first things I noticed was how far the restrooms are from where I sit. I'd have to start walking five minutes before I absolutely needed to go, or I'd have to break into this embarrassingly eager sprint. To add to that is the shame of knowing that everybody knows just where you're headed when you start walking in that direction.

I faced the same ignominy at the Hyderabad office. The walk to the restroom is equally long, and of course I have to pretend to examine my cell phone so I don't have to look people in the eye and know that they know I go.

But by the third day I devised a strategy. The office is designed (but not for entertainment I assume) like a maze. The twists and turns are quite complicated and if I couldn't use as landmarks the little flags and stuffed toys that people had propped up, I'd be totally lost every time I left my desk. But this complex system of lefts and rights actually worked in my favour. I figured that if I take a different route each time I go to the loo, I would not come face to face with the same people more than once in a day. This way I wouldn't need to stare at my cell phone for no reason.

It works like a charm. I now smile and nod at people I pass en route. How do you do? Splendid day, isn't it?

2 comments:

Vinesh said...

You have way too much time on your bladder!

Serendipity said...

Your bladder weighs too much!