Thursday 28 December, 2006

The Expressive Indian

The average Indian uses 31 different facial expressions and hand gestures in a single day. These figures were compiled by the RSI (runa statistical institute) in Dec 2006. And these expressions and gestures change from region to region. Let us discuss the "asking a question" gesture.
In the North, it involves cupping and moving the invisible (and usually absent) contents of the hand repeatedly from side to side - YUCK! In the South, I've seen some people use the over-the-shoulder pointing thumb when they ask questions. Sometimes the question isn't verbalised - there's only the vigorous "look what's behind me" gesture! Now how am I to guess what that means? It's as removed a sign of questioning as my place in Hyderabad is from the office!
But by far the most bizarre gesture is the one that could mean "wait just a few minutes" or "give me five minutes" or even - when used by the guy who's cutting into the traffic line in front of you - "excuse the intrusion but there's nothing you can do anyway". It has the doer looking like he/she is testing the viscosity of a pear-shaped silicon implant (before the surgery, I must clarify!!)
Very disconcerting. Especially when used by the doorman of the restaurant that I want to dine at.

No comments: