Monday 22 September, 2008

Rock on, why don't you

I've seen almost every musical ever made - from West Side Story to Flashdance; from Singing in the Rain to Hello Dolly; from Breakdance to Dirty Dancing; from The Doors to Ray. Hindi films don't count, cos even a horror film is a musical, but I went to see Rock On, and hello! I loved it! It was fun and normal and feel good. The music isn't amazing, but I kinda like Farhan Akhtar's strange voice and sometimes off-key singing. And I wouldn't be a woman rock music nut if I didn't swoon at the sight of Arjun Rampal going into a guitar solo with his waist-length hair blowing in the breeze! Oh drooool!
The movie reminded me of my crazy teen years in Calcutta where my friends and I would chase every concert in the city. We'd go in groups of 15 or more and nothing was more important than knowing the words so we could screech the chorus out at the top of our lungs. I still haven't lost this habit, btw. When I'm driving alone, I have the windows up so I can yell out along with whatever cd is playing. It's people from this same group that call me everytime a movie like Rock On comes along, and we reminisce about the time we were "cat", which is Calcuttese for hip.
PS: The old dude in the pic is as much a rock star as anyone - he played this great rock and roll tune with that guitar balanced on his forehead!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oye!!!! i remember the flashdance n footloose n grease n.... the times when we were 'CAT' n happening!!!! not that we arent cat n happening now, but unfortunately very few people other than us seem to think so!!! Ha! Ha! rock on was totally our type... like tina says, we can relate to it coz of all the rock concerts we used to go to, which doesnt happen to kids nowadays, since they are so used to going to pubs n discs n stuff!!! specially in our 'jojo' concert days, there were no discs for us to go to!! guess we grew up in the good old days where u dont become 'adults' too soon!!!! "those were the days, my friend, we thought they'll never end...."

Serendipity said...

First let me thank you for the leaving the longest comment on my blog ever! For a moment I thought it was my blog post appearing in some weird format; then I saw it was you, and thought "well, of course!"
I totally agree with the not becoming adults too soon thing - hell I wasn't adult till I was 23, and only cos I got married then like a mad woman.
Hey do u remember taking us to Shatranj Napoli when Bobby and I were there all those years ago? I had completely forgotten about that place till my sis-in-law mentioned it yesterday. Ok listen we will e-mail each other and not use my blog for correspondence OK? But please keep passing comments!!