Friday 1 August, 2008

Perfect-Imperfect

We were taught to make gratitude lists at a relationship workshop I once attended. I totally agree with the concept behind this - when you list the things you are truly grateful for, you realize how much you have been given in this life.
Today, however, is not one of the days that I want to list what I've been given. I always do that. Today I want to count the things I want that I don't have. And I don't mean a penthouse suite, or a Mercedes Benz. I'm talking about deeper, more meaningful things. But I can't list them here cos I don't want the world to know what I don't have. I'd rather have everyone think I have everything, cos it embarrasses me to be found lacking, or inadequate, or to be pitied, or to be thought vulnerable.
And in this way I advance in my own head the myth of the perfect me.

No comments: