Friday 11 July, 2008

Memories of Paradise

Went to Kerala for a wedding and took an extra day to revive childhood memories of Fort Cochin (now Kochi) where my sister and I grew up. We went to our old house, school, the club that we used to go to everyday, and even the general store famous for its cocktail sausages!
Everything was much smaller than I remembered: the streets, the houses, the school - but all the memories came flooding back gigantic in their intensity. I remembered my way around the little town that has now become almost a mini Goa, minus the swimming. All the beautiful old houses have been converted to Home Stays or restaurants, the small restaurant that served the most awesome biryani has now become a tacky little inn. Most of the shops are owned by Kashmiris who have literally travelled across the length of the country to make a business for themselves.
It was heartening and saddening at the same time - I can't explain how I felt at recognizing all the old stuff peeping out from between the new. It was a hugely emotional experience - being there after 23 years - and I don't think I can go too long without returning to peel back the cheery cafe signboards to reveal the real Cochin of my childhood.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

can you believe it runa, i know you for quite a few years now, and it is only now that i get to know that you grew up in cochin, in kerala, the green south! is it a wonder that you chose the south of india to start your new, independent life! amazing the cycle of life!...

Serendipity said...

Whaaat??? How it is that I never spoke about it before? Gosh, it must be age!!

Unknown said...

how is that that i never asked?!?