Thursday 5 June, 2008

Trees


I've loved trees ever since I can remember, and when I'm away on holiday most of my pictures end up being of trees. It's a love I share with many women I know, but few men. Is the love of trees a gender thing? I looked up symbolism of trees - there's a lot of information out there about how almost every culture on the planet associates many meanings to trees and forests. The Tree of Life, for example, is a symbol of resurrection, and of a union between heaven, earth and the underworld. Whatever the deeper mythical symbolism, the joy and peace I feel when I am surrounded by the sight, smell and sound of trees is equalled by nothing else in the world.

2 comments:

dm said...

I share this feeling. In fact, wherever I go, I usually end up having a favorite tree.
Here, it is a stately old jacaranda bent at a certain angle that gives it this mysterious, wind-blown look. Probably it will be the thing I miss most, haha.

Serendipity said...

Take a picture. It sounds interesting - I'd like to see.