Sunday 29 April, 2007

Eine kleine nacht musik

Tell me - if you can - what the following lines mean:
Hallow hallow chick test
Hallow chick test
Chick tessst

That's what I heard 150 decibels loud for five whole minutes outside my house this evening.
Each line was punctuated with a tararam on the african drums.
At the end of the chick tessst, an entire troupe of musicians perched atop a rickety, but carpeted, stage burst into thunderous .... music?
There was a singing duo that belted out local hits at the top of their voice, broadcast to the whole neighbourhood via loudspeaker lest u miss a note.
There were cheers, speeches, crackers, planes overhead, barking dogs, screaming kids, tooting horns.....OH MY GOD, STOP!!! I'LL GO DEAF!!!!

They stopped in three hours.
The chairs were piled up into vans, the carpets rolled and carried away, the mikes taken down.
Peace at last.
It's 11.30 pm - I think I'll turn in.
Oh.

The lights just went out.






No comments: